Wednesday, June 3

Calamity.

So the night before last, i finally crack open my copy of Anna Karenina (it's been five years, at least, since i decided to read it), and as i open it to the first page, my eyes alight upon a sentence near the end of the introduction, on the opposite page. A sentence that, with a particular three-word combination, gave away the entire ending of the book.

The next morning i woke up bleeding, like a stuck pig, if you'll pardon the expression. There just seems to be nothing more apt, although i have yet in my life to witness an actual stuck pig, which is something i am immensely grateful for.

Later that afternoon i found out that the flower shop is probably going under, and possibly soon. Which means i will be out of a job, and with little or no warning.

What on earth could happen next? Please, give it to me! i can take it!

So this morning there was a freak hailstorm here in P.B.! Utterly bizarre for a place where the weather is fair (and dreadfully dull) 98% of the time... i thoroughly enjoyed it from inside, although i think i may have heard the loudest peal of thunder in my entire life, which of course wreaked havoc on my rabbitish heart. Then the sky opened up for about ten or fifteen minutes, after which the clouds abruptly parted and heavenly sunshine poured down yet again. So basically all i got to experience of this "storm" once i left the house was the lingering aroma of warm, wet, concrete and an afternoon sky filled with dreamy, resplendent clouds. Hey- i ain't complainin'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Side note: i just realized the sheer genius of having Alanis Morissette play a role in a movie where she doesn't utter a single sound the entire time... There is something wondrous in that.

3 comments:

Altered Glass said...

Hail? Did it seem like the sky was falling? Interesting... We get hail all the time, but we are in an area that expects it. Sorry about the job thing. Just remember, when one door closes, another opens. You have to live in the future in order to look back and see how good changes are in your life. There ya go, my philosophy for the day!

Linda said...

Sorry about the Anna Karenina thing, maybe if you leave it for another 5 years you'll forget the ending?

Or another way to look at is, it's not the destination that matters, it's getting there. So knowing the ending won't really spoil it.

Although I must say, I had something similar happen to me recently. I was reading a copy of a friend's New Yorker, wherein was an article about the new Star Trek movie, and the author obviously disapproved of the entire Star Trek franchise and especially the idea of making Star Trek movies. Long story short, after I read about 2 paragraphs, I realized he had just given away the entire opening sequence, and if I kept reading I'd know the whole movie. How infuriating!!!

kvahedi said...

When I read The Awakening (Kate Chopin), the introduction also gave away the ending, with one fucking word. I ended up really loving the book anyway, but I'm still furious that I didn't get to learn the story the way the author intended :(